Thursday, July 21, 2011

Desk chair

Over at her blog, my colleague Jill Sommer talks about the importance of a good desk chair, and I couldn't agree more.

I believe I bought this chair to the left around six years ago. It cost a fortune (easily four figures in euros, but I'm not quite sure anymore, and it doesn't exist on the web), but it is worth it.

My previous chair looked very much the same but broke after about five years, and the leather was already looking worn down. It was from Ikea and cost around 300 euros, if I remember correctly. Ikea no longer offers it.

This one is going strong, and as you can see the leather is not worn down anywhere; there are only a few creases.

I should admit, however, that I practically stopped using the chair a year ago, when I started sitting on the sofa with my laptop. The sofa is not good for everything (such as using two screens), but for 90 percent of the work that I do, it's just me hammering out sentences, so the sofa is great.

All of this is terrible for your muscles, so there's no substitute for yoga twice a week.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Craig,
    I couldn't agree more with you. No matter how comfortable a desk chair may be, you will feel pain in your back and neck if you don't exercise after a long translation day. And for clearing the mind, there is nothing like a daily Viparita Karani!


    Luciana E. Lovatto
    @LucianaLovatto

    ReplyDelete