Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gambit survey on health care

The Gambit, a New Orleans publication, has published a survey of 100 New Orleanians about healthcare. 70 of those surveyed had insurance; 30 did not. 69 of those surveyed support reform; 14 do not; and 17 were undecided.

But here's the part I like -- people were asked to make a statement, and those who do not support reform have some really strange reasoning. A few people said they do not support reform because they simply do not understand it. (For the record, I don't understand the health insurance I have in Germany -- I am constantly surprised to hear what is covered and what is not. But that doesn't mean I would rather do without it.)

And then there was the 32-year-old who claimed to be covered by Medicare (not impossible, but certainly unusual for someone that age -- it makes me wonder whether he knows how he is insured) and then stated the following:

"I just don't think the government should be in charge of my health care."

This guy claims to have governmental health care, does not want it, and opposes reform. He's gonna be pretty hard to please...

1 comment:

  1. This is all too common. My aunt has insurance through the Veteran's Administration and Medicare and is pretty happy with it, but claims she doesn't want the government involved in health care.

    It's this kind of doublethink that makes one worry about democracy.

    ReplyDelete